Monday, December 31, 2012

New Year's Eve: Then and Now


Well hello, 2013! I'm sitting here with my quasi-tipsy husband, Chris as he watches Return of the Jedi for what must be the 1,088th time.  He quotes it to me as I write this, and I feel it necessary to remind him that I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Star Wars freak.  But I give him credit for his persistence; this is a man who wants me to love it as much as he does.  Hubby does remind me a little of Chewbacca, actually.

I have to be honest with you, 2013: I barely made it to ring you in, as I actually fell asleep at 8:30 p.m. tonight.  I awoke at 11 p.m. feeling like a big loser...and old.  A big, old loser.  And by "ring you in," I mean that I sat on the bed, watching TV as I shoved spoonfuls of vanilla frosting into my mouth.

Were the New Year's Eve festivities of our youth better than this?

If I answer this question honestly, I'd have to say "no."  As young(er) people post their "exciting" New Year's Eve photos on Facebook this evening, I think back to the past without the foggy, rose-colored glasses that most people wear when remembering a time that has passed.  I recall how much it sucked being single on New Year's Eve or, worse yet, to be out with fellow single friends and having a bad time, feeling like you were probably a tad too old to be hanging out at the bar/club du jour.  I think the most entertaining New Year's Eve I ever had, other than the Manhattan comedy club my husband and I went to in the early days of our courtship (pre-toddler), was that time friends and I partook of a special green beverage from the Czech Republic.  I normally hate singing karaoke but boy, that night it seemed like a really good idea -- until 6 a.m, when the day-long throbbing headache began to set in.

But those days are gone.

Now our year-end plans revolve around a little towheaded toddler who makes us laugh every day.  He smothers me with hugs and kisses and tells me all the time, "I LOVE you!"  Isn't that what everyone wants to experience on New Year's Eve?

Happy New Year, everyone! :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment